Friday, April 20, 2018

True Romance

I repeat, I have never been typically romantic. Even when I read trashy Regency romances (I was a teenager, they were fun, and I would read them again), the usual fantasized scenes involving a sprained ankle and a horsebacked savior (that one is courtesy of Jane Austen) were mentally absent. 
https://reginajeffers.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/s2526swilloughbymarianne.jpg
I believed, from an early age, that romance doesn't really mean much. It isn't proof of love to buy someone a bouquet from the drugstore while picking up antacids. It's not effort. It's a sweet gesture. At the end of a breakup, no man complains, "But I bought you flowers!" 
http://theromantic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/giving-girls-flowers-first-family-date.jpg
I would actually prefer a bunch of parsley. More useful.
Due to divine timing, to quote my mother-in-law, Han and I had "the trial by fire." When someone is there for you when your world is falling apart? That's romance I believe in. 

As does Heather Havrilesky.    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In which movie did a man give a bunch
of carrots to Natalie Portman?

As shown in the picture above?