Monday, April 9, 2018

How to Stay Sane While Dating: VII

A friend of Han's was opining about marrying young. He felt cheated, in some ways, of the experiences he could have had, like traveling child-free (maybe spouse-free?). 

I know when singles hear marrieds kvetching they want to smack them upside the head. But it shows there are pros and cons to every situation. 

I remind my audience of this post from a long while back. While I was self-conscious about my singleness, my wedded peers thought I was having a grand old time, free from financial responsibility and dirty dishes.

"The grass isn't greener on the other side. It's greener where you water it." —Neil Barringham

I'm not saying that singles shouldn't work towards marriage. But if it isn't happening, enjoy yourselves. There will be experiences that married life may put the kibosh on. 

I'm not a traveler, so that didn't apply to me. But I had other entertainments (like nightly TV watching, cough) that I reveled in. I read a lot. I painted. I experimented in the kitchen. I shopped. I even traveled from time to time. I loved it. Now wed, I don't feel like I missed out on activities I could have done while I was single.

I got into painting because that was something I always wanted to try, but kept pushing off. After my Babi died, I thought, "What am I waiting for?" and signed up for classes. 

So, my singles, is there anything you always wanted to try? Tap dancing? Glass blowing? Deep sea fishing? Go for it. Now. Like, now

Embrace the perks of whatever stage in life you are at.   

No comments: