Monday, August 22, 2016

Sprout!

Beware, unsuspecting audience: I am now on a sprouting kick. 

Since I am rather impressionable, the internet doesn't have to say much to get me to think I have been eating my grains and beans wrong all these years. 

Supposedly sprouting reduces starches and makes the nutrients easier for the body to absorb. If you've got cheesecloth (a necessity for those who cook chicken soup), then you can sprout.

I sprouted mung beans, then cooked them. The taste was much sweeter and pleasant than when un-sprouted, and they were pretty good then too. 
http://panihatiarogyaniketan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/img_5731.jpg
Via panihatiarogyaniketan.org
Not all grains or legumes sprout—like standard barley and millet (the latter I learned myself). But quinoa does, quite quickly, actually.

There is a basic system to sprouting. 

1) Initial soak. 
2) Rinse and drain two times daily. 
3) Sprouting times vary. 

Quinoa requires only 30 minutes to 2 hours of initial soaking, while dried beans and grains (like wheat berries) need an overnight drench. 

Any container will do. Place desired seeds, grains, or legumes into a jar or tupperware or glass. Cover with cheesecloth (there are sprouting lids available that I may purchase) and secure in place with rubber band (or if using a ball jar, can use the ring top). Pour water through the cheesecloth for the initial soak. 

The next morning (8 hours or so later) pour off the water, rinse again through the cheesecloth, then invert the jar so the liquid can drain off. Takes less than a minute.
http://kaletothequeen.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/6/8/12681747/8810462_orig.jpg
Via kaletothequeen
Come back 12 hours later or so and repeat. Rinse, drain, invert. 

I've also made alfalfa sprouts for Ma, despite my scar-worthy childhood memory of a beautiful, innocent, whole-wheat egg salad sandwich contaminated by those sprouts. To this day she insists that topping my sandwich with sprouts was the greatest expression of love. I had spent a half-hour picking out every single sprout. 

These are expressly for her. 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEifVaGavXO8uBTKG_UZ9JcK-FuXfy0mIXZ6CZNniecdZ3fY53jH8PBAWXOLkd7ucWr13iG44A8o6JTSTQIDOgJssOyh4HbFwfe1rfr0hJHv3VxITsgaNnWWSinb7eNzYXTKC_cfegvGRrnS/s1600/DSCF6632.JPG
Via whataboutpie.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I know sprouted grains are really healthy but I can't bring myself to eat what looks like pinworms!! Unless it's in a completed item like bread, where the white sprouts are camouflaged.

Princess Lea said...

I shan't invite you to dinner, then. More pinworms for me.

Rachel said...

You may redeem yourself if you serve strawberry shortcake for dessert.