Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Cauliflower "Potato" Salad

I love potatoes. My scale does not. 

Since the Eibishter created the cure before the disease, cauliflower manages to (somewhat) fill the hole in my heart. I have already giddily linked four recipes for "potato" salad, but finally got around to trying it for a family barbecue. 

I gravely sat down and cross-referenced the options, and deliriously attempted my research. It was beautiful.  It disappeared, however (I won't name names, but you know who you are), before I had a chance to truly get to know it.

Cauliflower "Potato" Salad 

1 large head fresh cauliflower, or 2 lb. bag frozen 
1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
2 stalks celery, finely diced 
3 scallions, finely sliced
1-2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (optional) 
¼ cup mayo
1 tspn to 1 tablespoon vinegar, depending on preference (apple cider vinegar for me) 
1 T dijon mustard
dill, fresh or dried (I like more, others prefer less or opt out)
sprinkling of paprika
sprinkling black pepper  

1. If cauliflower is fresh, cut into bite-sized florets. Fill a saucepan with just enough water to cover the bottom and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower. Simmer (anywhere between 5-10 minutes) until desired consistency—soft enough for the fork, but way before it gets mushy. If using frozen peas, chuck 'em in after a few of minutes. Remove and drain. If using frozen, wait until cool, then slice into smaller pieces if needed. 

2. Whisk together the mayo, vinegar, mustard, dill, and few sprinklings of black pepper. 

3. Combine cauliflower, peas, celery, scallions, and optional eggs (I made mine without). Toss with dressing. Sprinkle with paprika. 

4. Chill. From what I've researched, tastes best when given time to meld in the fridge (mine didn't last very long to tell). 

No comments: